Monday, April 19, 2010

NaPoWriMo #19 - More Than a Mission Tonight.

National Poetry Month Prompt #19 (From RedWritePoem - Light Bulb Moments.
        For Rallentanda, and us, this means a flash or light bulb moment. Everyone has had one. Things suddenly fall into place (a realization of the truth of the matter).  Often the situation is too painful to address, so you hide it. For example, you suspect your husband is having an affair with your best friend or you suddenly realize where the missing cash went from your wallet all those years ago.
        It can even be humorous. You usually wear your best under garments for a visit to the gynecologist, but as you’re ready to strip off you suddenly realize you are wearing your old gardening knickers with all the broken elastic. Try to describe the ensuing feelings of embarrassment and desperate attempts to rectify this situation.
        I actually know of someone who tripped and fell on stage at a gala performance. She was so humiliated that she pretended she was having a heart attack (which seemed, to her at the time, the better option).
       Your poem should express the emotions that grip you as you experience your “shock” moment.

More Than A Mission Tonight

Dinner over,
you sauntered across the street –
Guy-talk with Dick –
while I bathed the boys.
Jammies on, books read, prayers said,
then off to bed – no argument tonight –
right to sleep…
Hooray!
Hustling through the dishes,
I waited, expectantly, for your return…
you’d been frisky all evening…
oh, the anticipation…
Finally, a knock at the back door –
Strange, you had never knocked before,
but I loved your games –
I could play too.
I knocked back;
Same rhythm, same beat –
Silence.
I waited.
Now another knock –
I matched it too.
Silence again.
I could wait.
One more time…
Thump, thump, thump-thump-thump…
Thump-thump…
Oh, this was going to be good!
I pulled the curtains back, slowly, ever so slowly and…
provocatively…
Smiling that “Come here, baby,” smile…
You would not be receiving any
mixed messages tonight!
But, you weren’t there –
Two young men in black slacks and white shirts
Stood in your place…
Damn you!
I’m rarely at a loss for words,
But I couldn’t talk…
“Would you like us
to stop by another time?”
I could only nod and smile.

©Bridget Nutting, 2010

2 comments:

Rallentanda said...

Funny poem...What must those guys have thought...another looney! Can just see you echo knocking...good one!

Dan said...

Proselytizers have all the best stories...